The Superior Court of California, County of Colusa had recently implemented emergency orders as signed by the Chief Justice, Tani G. Cantil-Sakauye which provided for a Court closure from Friday, March 20, 2020 through Friday, April 3, 2020. Due to the continued state of emergency, the Court will remain closed to the public until Monday, May 4, 2020, with limited exceptions. Persons having court dates during the closure will receive written notice of their rescheduled dates and parties should consult with their attorneys for more information.
As the Court continues to balance the need to provide essential services to the public and community with the ongoing health concerns related to COVID-19, the following adjustments to our limited calendars and operations will be made effective Monday, April 6, 2020 through Friday, May 1, 2020.
Court calendars will be limited to:
- Felony preliminary hearings, domestic violence restraining orders, juvenile detention and emergency hearings will be held on Wednesdays at 8:30 a.m. or as otherwise scheduled by the court.
- Juvenile hearings will be held on Mondays at 1:00 p.m.
- In-custody arraignments will be held as needed.
When possible, telephonic and video options will be utilized and many hearings are being continued to May and June. In addition, beginning March 23, 2020, jury trials have been suspended for a period of sixty (60) days.
To further reduce the number of individuals in the courthouse, entrance shall be limited to those individuals conducting legitimate business. Parties, their attorneys, witnesses, and those required to participate may enter the courthouse on the day of their hearings. All visitors and observers are to remain outside of the courthouse.
While at the courthouse, individuals are strongly encouraged to practice appropriate hygiene and suggested six-foot social distancing measures.
Other operations will be modified as follows:
- A drop box for all filing types is available at the courthouse located at 532 Oak Street, Colusa, CA 95932. The drop box will be checked multiple times each business day by the Clerk’s Office and requests for emergency orders will continue to be processed in a timely manner. Filings can also be submitted by mail. If your filing necessitates a response from the Court, you should include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Clerk windows will be closed.
- In-person Self-Help services are closed. Self-Help information is available on our website. Family Law Facilitator appointments are available by telephone Monday through Wednesday. Please call (530)458-0598 to schedule an appointment.
Access to justice is an important right of each citizen. The decision to limit functions within the court was made based on information provided by federal and state health officials and in an attempt to protect the public and staff from exposure to COVID-19.
Further adjustments may be made to the Court’s calendar, depending on the changing circumstances of the public health threat of COVID-19. The court will monitor the situation and continue to consult with the Judicial Council and local public health officials. Please check the Court’s website at www.colusa.courts.ca.gov for updates.
Persons having court dates during the periods of the closure should contact their attorneys for further information. Please be advised that information will be updated on the Court’s website at www.colusa.courts.ca.gov with all the latest details provided to the court.
We regret any inconvenience this closure may cause.
View the full notice here.
First Legal, your premier litigation support provider.