In an effort to promote the health and safety of court users and employees as well as mitigate community spread of the Covid-19/Coronavirus, the San Joaquin County Superior Court has suspended all non-emergency services effective March 17, 2020-April 3, 2020:
- Criminal arraignments with in-custody defendants and “time not waived” (TNW) preliminary hearings and trials will be heard.
- Criminal matters with in-custody defendants where defendant’s appearance can be waived.
- Criminal matters with out-of-custody defendants will be rescheduled.
- All civil proceedings will be rescheduled.
- All Unlawful Detainer (UD) matters will be rescheduled.
- All Civil Harassments will be heard.
All domestic violence restraining orders will be heard.
All custody hearings where ex parte orders were granted will be heard.
All family court and mediation matters will be rescheduled.
All clinics and workshops have been canceled.
All other family law and family support matters will be rescheduled.
- All traffic matters will be rescheduled.
- All Small Claims matters will be rescheduled.
- All Juvenile Dependency will be rescheduled.
- W&I sec. 602 Juvenile Detention hearings will be heard.
- W&I sec. 602 TNW in-custody jurisdictional hearings will be heard.
- W&I sec. 602 in-custody TNW dispositional hearings will be heard.
- W&I sec. 602 TNW in-custody transfer hearings will be heard.
- All other hearings will be rescheduled.
- All Probate hearings will be rescheduled.
- All in-person visits related to guardianship and conservatorship cases will be suspended.
- Any temporary orders will be extended until the next court date.
THE COURT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR:
- Ex-parte requests for civil harassment TROs, DVTROs, and Gun Violence Protective Orders.
- Emergency ex-parte lockout proceedings (UD).
- A Family law judge will review ex-parte requests for emergency TROs, Guardianship requests where a minor’s safety is at risk.
- A Juvenile judge will be available for emergency orders and Dependency detentions.
- A Probate judge will be available to cover emergency conservatorship and other emergency orders.
- All search warrants (day and night) will be electronically submitted.
In addition, effective March 17, 2020 – April 3, 2020, the Court will institute the following changes:
- PROSPECTIVE JURORS – Please review the IMPORTANT JUROR NOTICE located on our Jury Webpage. https://www.sjcourts.org/divisions/jury-service/. Continue to call-in and check the Court’s website for reporting instructions.
WORKSHOPS AND CLINICS
- All workshops and clinics have been canceled.
- The Self-Help Center will be closed. Services will be available on-line and by phone. Please call (209) 992-5282.
The public is urged to monitor the San Joaquin County Superior Court website (www.sjcourts.org) for updated information.
View the full notice here.