Pursuant to the provisions of Government Code section 68115, at the Court’s request California Supreme Court Chief Justice Tani Gorre Cantil-Sakauye has issued an emergency order permitting the closing the Court’s facilities to the public, at least until March 30, 2020. For purposes of computing certain court-related deadlines, the closure will be considered a public holiday.
The Court will be providing additional details in the next hours and days, so
please check the Court website – https://go.firstlegal.com/e/713173/2020-03-17/fsm9y/81426628?h=u1eer4b9m21oyMeuiTqVuEhHcWizDmSIcfuV1aFHTVY – for updates.
The closures are in response to the unique and continuing public safety challenge presented by the coronavirus. Numerous public health orders suggesting or requiring that public gatherings be limited to less than 50 individuals, and it is strongly recommended that people over the age of 65 limit their presence in public places have been issued.
Jurors who have been summoned to appear during this time period are not required to appear for juror duty. Jurors who are currently impaneled and sitting in a trial should contact their courtrooms for further instructions.
The Court appreciates the careful balance that must be maintained between the timely administration of justice and the protection of public health and safety.
Importantly, this closure is not in response to a specific notice of exposure at any Court facility or to any Court staff. Instead, it is in an abundance of caution to help limit the spread of the virus and the potential for future exposure. Employees are expected to report to work tomorrow as usual.
We encourage the public to use the available online services on the Court’s website https://go.firstlegal.com/e/713173/online-services-/fsmb1/81426628?h=u1eer4b9m21oyMeuiTqVuEhHcWizDmSIcfuV1aFHTVY.
Such online services include:
- The payment of traffic tickets (https://go.firstlegal.com/e/713173/affic-payments-extensions-html/fsmb3/81426628?h=u1eer4b9m21oyMeuiTqVuEhHcWizDmSIcfuV1aFHTVY)
- Contact with Self-Help (https://go.firstlegal.com/e/713173/self-help-/fsmb5/81426628?h=u1eer4b9m21oyMeuiTqVuEhHcWizDmSIcfuV1aFHTVY)
- Accessing case information (https://go.firstlegal.com/e/713173/online-services-case-access-/fsmb7/81426628?h=u1eer4b9m21oyMeuiTqVuEhHcWizDmSIcfuV1aFHTVY)
- Accessing forms and information on eFiling documents with the Court (https://go.firstlegal.com/e/713173/online-services-efiling-/fsmb9/81426628?h=u1eer4b9m21oyMeuiTqVuEhHcWizDmSIcfuV1aFHTVY )
- Establishing online payment plans, (https://go.firstlegal.com/e/713173/home/fsmbc/81426628?h=u1eer4b9m21oyMeuiTqVuEhHcWizDmSIcfuV1aFHTVY )
- and many others.
View the full notice here.