The Court will be phasing in an increase of our services and operations. The first phase will begin on Monday, May 18, 2020.
In the first phase, non-jury trial cases currently on a court calendar will be heard on the date the cases were scheduled to be heard, and will not be continued unless for good cause. The court will not be conducting jury trials in the month of May. Persons who received jury summons asking them to appear for jury duty on or before May 29 do not need to report for jury duty.
Further, our staff will return to a normal work day schedule, five days a week, with only a few exceptions, such as mediators and the Family Law Facilitator who will continue to provide services to the public telephonically or by videoconferencing until further notification. The court counter located at 60 N. Washington St., Sonora, will also return to normal hours of service from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. The court counter located at the old courthouse, 41 W. Yaney Ave., will continue to be closed to the public.
In an effort to keep our staff, justice partners, and the public protected as much as possible from exposure to COVID-19, the Court will continue to use precautions such as:
- scheduling in-person hearings in a manner to reduce the number people in the courthouse at one time
- conduct remote proceedings when possible
- make accommodations to reduce appearances of vulnerable individuals or those who live with or care for vulnerable individuals
- enforce social distancing of at least six feet for all individuals in the courthouse when possible
- encourage face coverings for individuals while in the courthouse.
Naturally, anyone exhibiting possible COVID-19 symptoms such as feeling feverish, coughing, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, diarrhea, or having known close contact with a person who is confirmed to have COVID-19 must refrain from entering either courthouse locations.
View the full notice here.
First Legal, your premier litigation support provider.